I checked on my bees today and they are doing great. I’m not sure if my 1 Italian hive has any occupants anymore, I did not hear anything or see any bees near the entrances of the hive. My 7 Carniolan hives are doing very well. 6 of the 7 are noisy when I listen to them using my stethoscope, but I have 1 hive that is very weak. I made sure all hives had ample sugar stores, since it will be a couple of weeks before I will be able to take a peak. We are due for about a week with lows near zero.
Here’s my recipe for making Sugar blocks.
- 4# of sugar
- 6 oz of water
- Few drops of essential oils
- Lemon grass – mimics the Pheromone scent
- Wintergreen – helps control tracheal mites
- Tea tree oil
- Measure water and mix in essential oils.
- Add water to sugar and mix until combined
- Using small aluminum pans, divide sugar and pat down.
- Place in 250 degrees F oven for 20 min or so. You just want the sugar partially melted. Since ovens vary, keep an eye on your sugar so it doesn’t brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- Use or store until use. – Keep in a sealed container, away from mice.
I place these blocks directly on top of the top frames, with a shim or upside down candy board sitting above to give it the space it needs to be able to close the top securely.
Do you have a recipe that works well for you? I would love to hear about it.
~ May all your wandering take you to many wonderful places
Come follow me on facebook.